photo 7242d338-72f5-4eec-9baa-661952cdd306.png
H E L L O ! My name is Naomi Shiek (pronounced CHIC).
I've been very fortunate to have my own small independent atelier called Woodland Papercuts. This is my private blog exploring my favorite things in beauty & design.

L E T S__B E__F R I E N D S !
 photo button-instagram_zps318d609b.png  photo button-facebook.png  photo button-flickr.png  photo button-pinterest.png

Thursday 18 April 2013

interior design | Industrial Chic inspiration


I'm not sure if I should say my taste in interior styles has 'evolved' or just 'changed' since I first became interested in it in high school. The first decorative styles I gravitated towards were Art Nouveau and Arts & Crafts. I still like them for their affinity to handcraft, but their lines are a bit heavy-handed for me now. I remember I absolutely hated the angular lines or Art Deco and now I appreciate the streamlined designs of the later-period and prefer it over the decorative fussiness of early Art Nouveau. Funny, that.

Over the last few months I've been attracted more and more to Vintage Industrial style in interior design. Think old artist studios and factories. No doubt I've been influenced by all the great blogs I've been following, carried on by the metal trend in home accessories (first the Edison lightbulbs, then the thinly-soldered terrariums, oh my!). I really love the gritty connection between bulky weathered slabs of wood and thin hammered black metal.

I've been mooning over the World Market and Restoration Hardware websites for weeks, and really the what sold me on my apartment was all the black metal windows and the big floor slabs in cement-grey that I knew would fit this style. All I needed was to buy the furniture to match.

My place is slowly coming together. I have a table, a few lamps, but still no chairs or sofa. I'm working on storage now. It will never be magazine-worthy, but I hope the place will be comfortable and functional.


__________________________________________________

(excerpt from my work blog, Woodland Papercuts)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Website content property of Naomi Shiek.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig