photo 7242d338-72f5-4eec-9baa-661952cdd306.png
H E L L O ! My name is Naomi Shiek (pronounced CHIC).
I've been very fortunate to have my own small independent atelier called Woodland Papercuts. This is my private blog exploring my favorite things in beauty & design.

L E T S__B E__F R I E N D S !
 photo button-instagram_zps318d609b.png  photo button-facebook.png  photo button-flickr.png  photo button-pinterest.png

Thursday 24 May 2012

Redesigning spaces ...slowly


This month my personal time has been largely about storage solutions and furniture hunting. I'm finally going to make the most of my rented flat! Trying to, anyway. But I'm also conscious of my budget, which is why I'm trying to DIY at least one home project a week.

My big DIY project of the week, was finally setting up a headboard. Something I originally set out to do two years ago, when I wanted a cross-stitch masterpiece (even bought all the materials, now languishing in boxes).

After letting the original idea dangle for two years for the valid reasons of no time and energy, I knew I wanted my headboard to be quick, cheap, and easy. So, what quick fix did I come up with? A giant, great, big art print. While it doesn't literally cushions the wall, it does set a tone to the space.

My bedroom, set above the living room, is literally just the bed. Whatever I was going to hang on the wall was going to make a statement, so I needed to be certain of my decision. Remember, I wanted to keep it cheap. So I went to a local print shop and printed a huge but low-quality photo copy of the picture I wanted (a portrait from one of my birthday photoshoots - 1 | 2) and taped it up to the wall to see how it looks. Now, my idea was to sleep on it for a few days and then go have the picture professionally printed in large scale on photo paper (also can be done at your local print shop). I gotta say though, even though I already have the frame, I think I like it this way - low-tech all the way.

The best thing about it is that I don't have to be afraid of harming it. I can just go and reprint it, or replace it. I might even rotate prints to fit my mood and bedspread! I think I'll go buy neon paint and scrawl something across the picture, too. I might end up saving the frame for some real art, like one of my papercuts (that big scale Antlers papercut is still on my to-do list, by the way).


__________________________________________________

Image Credit | portrait of me by Tali Yalonetzki
(excerpt from my work blog, Woodland Papercuts)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Website content property of Naomi Shiek.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig