photo 7242d338-72f5-4eec-9baa-661952cdd306.png
H E L L O ! My name is Naomi Shiek (pronounced CHIC).
I've been very fortunate to have my own small independent atelier called Woodland Papercuts. This is my private blog exploring my favorite things in beauty & design.

L E T S__B E__F R I E N D S !
 photo button-instagram_zps318d609b.png  photo button-facebook.png  photo button-flickr.png  photo button-pinterest.png

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Adventures ahead...

Oh my gosh, it's been over 6 months since I last posted here! And my last public post was in February of last year! So long I no longer know the LJ user interface! is anyone still reading this? Probably not. Everyone have moved on to tumbler, twitter and facebook. I still don't know what to make of those sites. 

Well, this is the obligatory yearly summary post, just to keep this place alive. I have no recollection of all the little and big things that happened in my life. Why is that? That's wrong. I'll try to get into the habit of sharing online again, even if only with myself. 

As it is, you missed all the drama that's gone on since May. I mean, my last post here was about a toilet. Really? That's been sitting at the top of my page for over six months?? For shame. 

So, what happened? Mmm, told you I don't remember anything. If I do it's probably bad. How about I apparently overworked myself silly and came to the realization that as much as I love hand-making my ketubot, it's not a viable option if I want to sell enough to support myself. Or to not refuse any orders, I forget which reason was it.

So, I started selling lasercut editions of my papercuts. Which resulted in new issues brought on by working with others. I'm a huge control freak, I learned, and I also don't like it that I have to rely on other people's schedule and stock. 

Also, I need an assistant, is what I need. I can't sleep, because I'm sure I made a mistake even after double-checking 8 times. And for all I know, I have! Like now, I sent of an order which in my minds' eye I might have, could have, probably not, but still, assembled upside down. Crazy, I know! But I could have. I can't remember!

So an assistant it is. Someone, someday, hopefully soon. Who will do all the things that take me forever, like emailing, and accounting, and fact checking, and printing, and laundry and food shopping, and let's not forget cleaning, and hopefully social networking (I hate those sites) - and let me do the fun stuff like designing and cutting and packing orders. I'm picturing a talking dog in my head now. You know what I mean? A fancifully dressed, humanoid, talking dog. Or a lovely girl who I'll pay to be my friend/servant. Clearly, I've seen one too many Disney movies. 

As it is, I'm still struggling with organizing my business so there's a logical and healthy work schedule, project timeline, and price list. Yep, still don't have those. At the close of my first fiscal year as a true, official small business I'm more concerned about submitting all those tax reports and what-have-yous to learn where I stand. My accountant keeps explaining it to me, but I keep forgetting. I think at the end we've decided that in order to grow my business, I need to move. Or maybe that was just me? I'm not sure. 

That's right - I've decided to move. Again. Still haven't left where I've been leaving for the past close-to-three-years, but now I mean to move to a different city all together. You got it - I'm moving back up North. Where I lived for a year and was so damn miserable. Well, it happens. Maybe it'll work. It sucks on one end because I finally sourced good vendors here for my paper, printing, and mailing. It's almost comfortable. But all my friends are moving so I might as well, and as it turns out I never went to one artist workshop or museum or show like I thought I would. What's wrong with me? All I did was shop. I'm disappointed with myself.

Well, here's to 2013. I know, I didn't write about anything to do with my personal life here. That's because I had none, been too busy working. Nothing worth mentioning anyways. Met with friends occasionally, but for the most part worked at night from my living room. I learned little in 2012 about changing my ways, but you gotta go with the flow. So - trudging on!  


__________________________________________________

(excerpt from my old livejournal)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Website content property of Naomi Shiek.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig