photo 7242d338-72f5-4eec-9baa-661952cdd306.png
H E L L O ! My name is Naomi Shiek (pronounced CHIC).
I've been very fortunate to have my own small independent atelier called Woodland Papercuts. This is my private blog exploring my favorite things in beauty & design.

L E T S__B E__F R I E N D S !
 photo button-instagram_zps318d609b.png  photo button-facebook.png  photo button-flickr.png  photo button-pinterest.png

Monday 7 January 2013

A new year

Being from a different country from the rest of you becomes really poignant since 2012 rang out - everywhere I look there are a 'year in review' and 'new year's resolution' posts! They are beautiful, truthful and profound - and I kind of wish it was customary to do them in Israel as well (Yom Kippur notwithstanding) because then I'd have some experience in how to approach such a monumental task as reviewing a whole year of my life. Really, how do you do that?

As it is, I barely remember what I did last week, let alone 12 months ago. I know it was a year of change. I registered my business on Valentine's Day, for starters, and became a true full-time business owner. I don't know how I did it.

The rest of the year is a blur. Good things happened, as well as very bad things which I still feel guilty over. I'm a master of self-flagellation. I also made more papercut ketubot, got my first orders of papercut invitations, finally hung up art on my walls, had custom wood drawers made for my giant papers collection, bought too much frivolous things but also stopped myself from buying more, and enjoyed my life. Maybe not as much as I should, maybe not how others think I should have, but I did. 2012 was a good year for me.

But focusing on life-decisions of the last month: I bought myself a second hand iPhone and joined the smart phone nation (am still getting used to it. Find me on instagram @ woodplandpapercuts). And I've decided that in order to expand my business save up my mortgage fund quicker - I'll be leaving Tel Aviv and moving way up North to Kiryat Shmonah. If you know Israel you know how big of a lifestyle change that is.

My parents live there, and I lived there for a year after graduating from university when I still didn't know what to do with myself, but it's still a scary change. I feel like the 3 years I spent in Tel Aviv were my forming years and the best of my life. I grew more confident here, earned an independent income and opened my own business. Leaving here is scary, like I'll lose all this progress if I move. But I have to trust myself that I'll do better there personally, work-wise, and health-wise (my mother insists that if I move she'll take charge of my health. I always say I'm too busy to make my appointment). The plan is to move there for 2 years max, expand my work beyond a seasonal business, and earn enough for a mortgage downpayment on an apartment in Tel Aviv. Sounds doable?

But we'll see. 2013 has started, and I'm feeling positive. I signed up for Not Another Bill monthly surprise gifts club, got my copy of the Graphic Exchange 2012 Selection e-book (get yours here), and received a little surprise in the mail from the good folks at Etsy (thank you Julie)!

2013 is looking good!



__________________________________________________


(excerpt from my work blog, Woodland Papercuts) 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Website content property of Naomi Shiek.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig